Thousands of children will be out trick or treating and to help keep them safe, parents are encouraged to remind their children to follow the rules of the road:
- Always walk — do not run from house to house
- Use costumes with bright fabrics or reflective tape or carry a flashlight to ensure you can be seen at all times
- Walk on sidewalks and not on the street
- If a sidewalk is unavailable, walk on the left side of the street facing traffic
- Review all appropriate trick-or-treating safety precautions, including pedestrian/traffic safety rules prior to your trick-or-treating adventure.
Drivers beware! Watch out for the goblins, witches and ghouls! Children are excited about Halloween and may forget safety rules. When driving in residential areas, remember to follow these safety precautions:
- Be alert, slow down and watch out for trick-or-treaters
- Avoid any and all distractions
- Yield to crossing pedestrians, especially when turning
- Always keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.